Last year was rough, and while many of the problems are going to bleed over into this year, I’m optimistic that this year is going to be MUCH better. Between vaccines being deployed, and studios having plans to continue in more affected areas, I think that this year we are going to be seeing much brighter days than we have seen this past year.
While talking about upcoming projects has been a little scattered lately, I’m going to give it another try, and look at what we are being told to expect this year.
Movies are a great way to have a common conversation around something exciting. While many of these are comic book movies, as those are currently still the popular genre as of late, a third of these are non-comic nerdy movies, and there are also some more mainstream films I’m looking forward to as well.
Comic Book Movies
- Black Widow – The next MCU, prequel between Civil War and Infinity War
- Eternals – The ultimate prequel, set thousands of years before the MCU
- Kings Man – Kingsman prequel (a lot of prequels)
- Morbius – Jared Leto is a vampire
- Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings – MCU
- Spider-Man 3 – MCU Spider-Verse?
- The Suicide Squad – Different from the first Suicide Squad
- Venom: Let There Be Carnage – Sequel
Other Nerddy Movies
- A Quiet Place Part II – The first was my favorite movie of 2018
- Chaos Walking – Tom Holland and Daisy Ridley Sci-fi
- Cruella – 101 Dalmatians prequel a la Maleficent
- Dune – Possibly the next epic since Lord of the Rings
- The Forever Purge – The 5th Purge movie
- Free Guy – Ryan Reynolds finds out he’s an NPC in an MMORPG a la Grand Theft Auto
- Ghostbusters: Afterlife – Another Ghostbusters reboot
- Godzilla vs Kong – Sequel to the two Godzilla and one Kong movies
- Luca – Disney Pixar
- The Matrix 4 – Long awaited sequel, even though we all ignore 2&3
- Mortal Kombat – Video game movie, probably won’t break the curse
- Raya and the Last Dragon – Disney Dragon movie!
- Sherlock Holmes 3 – With Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law!
- Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins – This looks…bad…
- Uncharted – This looks…cool? Might break the video game movie curse.
More Great Movies
- Bob’s Burgers Movie – Required movie of popular show
- No Time to Die – Daniel Craig’s final Bond film
- Encanto – Disney
- F9 – Fast and Furious Forever
- The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard – Sequel to Hitman’s Bodyguard
- In the Heights – Lin Manuel Miranda Broadway turned movie musical
- Jungle Cruise – Disney ride turned movie
- Mission Impossible 7 – Tom Cruise tries crazy stunts, but wears a mask on set!
- Space Jam – now with LeBron James
- Spiral – Saw sequel
- Top Gun: Maverick – Another Tom Cruise crazy stunt movie
- West Side Story – The first “latinx in NYC” musical, turned movie for a second time
- Wicked – Another musical turned movie
Of course TV has just as much possibility of gathering everyone around, week after week, as we all try to guess what will happen next.
- The Book of Boba Fett – Boba takes over Jabba’s Palace
- The Falcon and the Winter Soldier – Two Almost Captain America’s vs. Not-Captain America
- Hawkeye – Superhero training montage show
- Loki – Time Travel Hijinks
- The Lord of the Rings – Will there be too much Game of Thrones in my Lord of the Rings?
- Marvel Legends – Character specific flashback show
- Star Trek: Strange New Worlds – The *checks notes* 5th Star Trek show in production
- Star Wars: The Bad Batch – Clone Wars sequel
- Superman & Lois – Arrowverse version of the ’93 series
- WandaVision – What if MCU took place on TV in every decade?
- What If…? – What if MCU did literally anything ever?
And shows returning as well
- American Gods – Popular Neil Gaiman show. No, the other one.
- Batwoman – Recast, but probably still just as good.
- Black Lightning – Final season
- The Boys – Jensen Ackles is in, now that Supernatural is over.
- Chilling Adventures of Sabrina – Teenage Witch
- Cowboy Bepop – Anime (only one on the whole list, sorry).
- Disenchantment – Simpsons plus Game of Thrones.
- Doctor Who – I’ve fallen off this bandwagon, but the show is still amazing.
- Doom Patrol – One of the great adult-focused comic shows.
- Nancy Drew – Being advertised alongside Stargirl and Batwoman
- The Flash – Fights in Tights!
- Lovecraft Country – All the horror and racism of the real H.P. Lovecraft!
- The Mandalorian – Without
Baby Yoda GroguBaby Yoda?
- Pennyworth – Batman prequel prequel.
- Picard – Star Trek plus Logan.
- Riverdale – Non-teen drama
- Snowpiercer – Post-apocalyptic thriller
- Stargirl – Another CW hero girl show
- Star Trek: Discovery – Seriously, there are 5 Star Trek shows.
- The Umbrella Academy – Emo X-Men are back!
- The Walking Dead – I get that they never die, but come on.
- Young Justice – Making a return as a great show.
Other Fun Shows
- Resident Alien – Alan Tudyk is an alien who pretends to be a human. Man I love Alan Tudyk.
- Walker – Jared Padalecki post-Supernatural is Walker, Texas Ranger
- Big Mouth – This show is really funny, just don’t let anyone know you watch it.
- Whose Line Is It Anyway? – Improv hilarity!
Lastly, video games definitely rise and fall throughout the year. Some games that you think are going to be great fall flat (Cyberpunk 2077) and there are other games that you don’t even know about that end up breaking through and being incredibly popular (Among Us).
- Breath of the Wild 2 – Some people were (wrongfully) upset that Hyrule Warriors wasn’t this.
- Far Cry 6 – A very interesting series that I don’t understand
- God of War Ragnarok – Unofficial title, but everyone loves Vikings lately.
- Gotham Knights – Non-Batman Batman game
- Hitman 3 – Assassin game
- Hogwarts Legacy – Harry Potter RPG (that a close friend worked on!)
- The Lord of the Rings: Gollum – Do we…do we play AS Gollum?
Some of these look amazing, some of these less so. I’ve been wrong before, so don’t be too upset if I’m not the same level of excited about some of these as you are. Just tell me what you think looks cool!