We not only have started a new year, but a new decade! Each year we look forward with uncertainty, and hope. So let’s take a moment, at look forward at everything that’s coming our way…that we know of.
There are 21 movies I am looking forward to next year. I’ve been able to split them by comic movies, other nerdy movies, and just (hopefully) good movies.
Comic Book Movies
Between four Marvel films, two DC movies, and a Mark Millar prequel, the year is looking pretty good right now. Unfortunately, it’s not a strong enough year to stop my worry that the trend of superheroes owning the theatres (as I’m calling it the Age of Heroes) is coming to an end.
- Eternals – The next super team of the MCU, set millenia in the past.
- Black Widow – Set between Civil War and Infinity War, finally she gets a movie.
- New Mutants – This movie has been delayed several times, since it was originally announced for April 13, 2018.
- Morbius – Jared Leto plays a vampire in the Sony Marvel Universe (SMU), so the same universe as Venom, but not Tom Holland’s Spider-Man.
- Wonder Woman 1984 – A sequel to the best Worlds of DC movie yet.
- Birds of Prey – A sequel to the worst Worlds of DC movie yet. But you know what? Ewan McGregor is great.
- The King’s Man – I loved Kingsman, and while the sequel was a bit mixed, I’m willing to check out the prequel.
Other Nerdy Movies
These movies are either science fiction, Disney, or monster movies. This is right up our alley.
- Dune – Ask any literary sci-fi or fantasy fan, and they’ll say Dune is the most underrated story yet.
- Sonic – We bullied a movie studio so hard, they redesigned the main character. The least you can do is go see the movie now.
- Onward – Pixar. Elves. Adventure. Of course this movie is going to be talked about on The Nerdd.
- Soul – Another Pixar movie? Let’s go!
- Mulan – This is what all the Disney Live Action Reboots should be. An actual different version of the story, not a recreation of the original.
- Jungle Cruise – I’m not going to lie, The Rock and Emily Blunt are doing a movie based on a funny ride at Disneyland? That sounds dumb. But so does Johnny Depp is a drunkard, from a ride at Disneyland, so what do I know?
- Godzilla vs. Kong – We’ve been lowkey leading up to this movie since 2014, let’s see how it goes.
- A Quiet Place Part II – A sequel to a great Emily Blunt movie, that we actually gave the 2018 Nerddy for Best Movie of the Year to.
More Great Movies
I’ll be honest. Even though I’ve dedicated an entire website to all things nerdy, sometimes I like non-nerd things, and here are some of those.
- Tenet – Christopher Nolan is probably the best director of the 21st century.
- Bond: No Time to Die – The 25th James Bond? Nice!
- Top Gun: Maverick – Tom Cruise can do no wrong.
- In the Heights – For all the Hamilton fans out there, this is the musical Lin Manuel Miranda made before Hamilton.
- Bill & Ted Face the Music – So what if it’s a Doctor Who ripoff? Let’s just be excellent to each other.
- Bad Boys for Life – This is just fun.
There has to be something to bide our time between movies. That’s where television has you covered. Again, we have the nerdy shows, and the shows that look good otherwise.
- The Falcon and the Winter Soldier – The first MCU Disney+ show, probably showing how Bucky helps Sam go from superhero, to super soldier.
- Star Trek: Picard – The Logan of Star Trek, see how a man who has retired from the world he once was famous for, is forced to go back in. Also, both have Patrick Stewart.
- Snowpiercer – A show based on a super underrated sci-fi movie, starring a guy from Hamilton? What’s not to love?
- Stargirl – DC teenage superheroine, not to be confused with the Disney+ show of the same name.
- Y: The Last Man – Based on the comic that we recommend so much, it’s on our Top 30 Indie Comics list.
- Locke & Key – Based on a comic where Demons are turned into keys and… listen, it’s a comic, and it’s weird.
- Avenue 5 – Hugh Laurie captains a Space Cruise Ship. You should at least be curious.
- Mythic Quest: Raven’s Banquet – The guys behind It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia now play video game developers. This can go anywhere from Big Bang Theory to The IT Crowd, and we won’t know until it arrives.
- Solar Opposites – By the creators of Rick and Morty, a family of space aliens take refuge in middle America.
- Better Call Saul – More Breaking Bad. Always more Breaking Bad.
- Utopia – An American remake of a British show where a company is willing to kill people, to get a comic book.
Other Fun Shows
- The Good Place – The first season of this show is great, and since then it’s been alright, but I am so invested in these characters, I’m going to keep watching.
- Everything’s Gonna Be Okay – You’ve probably seen ads, but it is about an autistic girl living with her brother after their father dies. Seems to be an interesting comedy. It genuinely feels as though the jokes aren’t about making fun of the girl for her autism, but about how others react to autism.
- Lizzie McGuire – I’m a millennial, who loves Disney. I’m watching the new Lizzie McGuire.
- The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City – For those of you who are very surprised at this addition, I live in Salt Lake City. That’s literally the only reason why I will watch exactly one episode of this, and no more.
- The Last of Us Part II – A sequel to the best game of 2013 (also set in Salt Lake City), a new and inventive zombie-ish game that deserves all 53 awards listed on it’s Wikipedia page.
- Cyberpunk 2077 – Keanu Reeves stars in a video game that is a sequel to the early ’90s TtRPG that is featured on our podcast Around the Table in 80 Dice. Watch Dogs: Legion – Cool hacker game!
- Animal Crossings: New Horizons – Animal Crossing is the most wholesome game series in the world, and I will honor it as such.
- Marvel’s Avengers – Still don’t like the costumes, but there’s very few good comic book games (outside of the Arkham series), so let’s give it a shot.
- Doom Eternal – DOOM!
- Halo Infinite – If you like Halo, and the 13 other Halo games, then yeah, get this.
There is so much to look forward to this year! Surely there will be things coming out that we have no idea about at this point, that we will surely love.